Home » Dangerous Things for Your Dog in Your Home

Dangerous Things for Your Dog in Your Home

Did you know that the top reason for a trip to the vets in dogs under the age of two is injury due to chewing electrical cords? Before your bring home your rescue dog, it is important to check your home for some of the hidden dangers that can cause dogs harm. These include fruits and vegetables that you may not have considered and everyday household items that are temptingly chewy, especially if you are bringing home a puppy, or a young dog.

Garlic, leeks and onions

Generally, an extremely small amount of garlic or onions won’t do a dog too much harm, but if your dog has eaten a pan of sauteed leeks, onions or garlic, then poisoning will occur. It can result in anaemia and Heinz body formation, both dangerous blood disorders. Additional symptoms include lethargy, muscle weakness and very pale mucous membranes. It is worth mentioning that garlic used to be considered a home remedy to treat flea infestations. However, it has proven to be completely effective for treating fleas and can actually cause your dog harm.

Scented candles

Candles can be incredibly tempting for dogs, especially the scented ones. The smell of vanilla, chocolate and raspberry can be quite irresistible. The texture of candles is also quite appealing, especially if you have a puppy that is teething. If you do keep candles in your home, pick candles that are soy based, as opposed to paraffin wax. These are less harmful to dogs and more digestible. But in the best case scenarios, keep your candles completely out of reach of dogs; it is worth noting that a fully grown labrador can easily reach five feet, standing on their hind legs.

Alcohol

If you have a wine rack or other alcohol that a dog could get to, it  is important that you move this before bringing your rescue dog home. A dog’s kidneys are not equipped for processing alcohol in the same way that a human’s can, so even drinking very small amounts of beer or wine can change your dog’s behaviour. It is quite common for a dog to pull the cork off of a seasonal bottle of cream liqueur. Make sure that these are kept well out of reach. You should also consider other household items that contain alcohol, such as mouthwash, cleaners, perfumes, aftershaves and cough syrups.

Electric cords

Dogs are naturally curious and want to investigate their surroundings thoroughly. Electric cords and wires are extremely chewable and also very dangerous. It can result in burns to the mouth and face, as well as issues with the heart, lungs and muscles. Symptoms include shortness of breath, rapid heart rate, seizures, muscle spasms and collapse. Before you bring your rescue dog home, look around your house and make sure that all wires and cords are out of reach. If you are not using an electrical item, unplug it and move it away from the plug socket.

When you bring your new rescue dog home, you want to keep them as safe as possible. Check around your home and move anything harmful that your new dog might be tempted to chew.


Article by: Jane Anderson, a freelance writer, editor and dog owner

Photo by Ilargian Faus from Pexels